FAQ   |   Laws  |   Contact Us  |   Media

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I sign up for a motorcycle safety course?

A: On the home screen of this web page, there is a list of courses. You can find information about times and locations of the courses. There will also be a registration and waiver form. Just fill out your information and send it digitally.

Q: Who is instructing the motorcycle training course?

A: The Troopers assigned to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Motorcycle Division.

Q: What safety gear is required for the motorcycle training course?

A: The student will need :

  • Federal DOT approved helmet (helmets will be provided for BRC courses). For information on DOT-compliant helmets, visit HelmetCheck.org
  • Eye protection
  • Long-sleeved shirt and long pants (torn or ripped clothing not permitted)
  • Full fingered motorcycle type gloves
  • Over the ankle boots (preferably leather),
  • Rain gear (if necessary)

All safety gear is REQUIRED to be worn while riding the exercises.

Q: Does Oklahoma law require a motorcyclist to wear a helmet?

A: Any rider eighteen years or older is not required to wear a helmet. Any rider under the age of eighteen is required to wear a helmet. Although a helmet is not required for riders eighteen years or older, it is highly recommended.

Q: If state law doesn’t require a helmet, why do I have to wear one to the safety course?

A: The Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Oklahoma Department of Transportation are promoting safe riding habits. Therefore, a helmet must be worn during riding exercises.

Q: Do I have to have a motorcycle endorsement on my driver’s license before I show up for the course?

A: Yes.

Q: Will a motorcycle be provided to me for the course?

A: No. You must provide your own motorcycle that is in good working condition. The motorcycle must meet all Oklahoma State equipment requirements including current insurance and registration.

Q: Is there a minimum age requirement to sign up for the motorcycle safety course?

A: Yes, you must be 14 years of age or older. Oklahoma law requires anyone under the age of 18 to wear a helmet.

Q: What is the minimum age requirement for a motorcycle license?

A: In Oklahoma the age is 14. The motorcycle cannot exceed a 250 cc engine.

Q: Will I receive a discount on my insurance on completion of the course?

A: Yes. Anyone who successfully completes the safety course will receive a certificate and will be eligible for an insurance discount for up to three years.. Title 36 Chapter 1 Article 9A Section 924.1

Q: How much does the motorcycle safety course cost?

A: The course is free! The Oklahoma Highway Patrol and the Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation have partnered together for teaching motorcycle safety. The two agencies are committed to reducing fatality motorcycle collisions.

Q: What if the motorcycle safety course is full?

A: There are only 30 spots per class, so sign up as early as you can. If the directors of the motorcycle training course see that there is a high interest in one particular area, they will do what they can to schedule an additional training session in the future.

Q: Do I need to bring anything other than my safety equipment to the motorcycle training course?

A: Yes. Water bottles and snacks would be a good idea. Due to extreme heat that Oklahoma sometimes experiences, staying hydrated is a must. Water will be provided during breaks, but bring your own to be on the safe side. Also, a lunch break will be given. The break will not be long because of the amount of information to be covered. So, bringing a sack lunch is required.

Q: Will any type of motorcycle be able to negotiate the exercises that are set up?

A: Absolutely. There are a variety of motorcycles on the road today. This motorcycle training course is designed for all of them. This course is designed to enhance a rider’s safety skills no matter what type of motorcycle.

Q: Do I have to be an experienced rider to benefit from this motorcycle training course?

A: No. You should have a working knowledge of your motorcycle, but whether you are a beginner or an expert rider everyone will benefit. This class is designed for EVERYONE to become a safer rider.

Q: How do I obtain a motorcycle endorsement on my driver’s license?

A: Anyone wishing to obtain a motorcycle endorsement must take a written examination and a riding test at a drivers license testing facility. The riding portion of the test may be waived if the rider has successfully completed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s Basic Rider Course.

If you would like to suggest additional questions for this page, please send us an email .