FAQ   |   Laws  |   Contact Us  |   Media

History of Troop MC

  Ok With Wagon

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol Motorcycle unit, now designated as Troop MC, was originally known as the “Flying Squadron” and was in existence during the first years of the agency from 1937 to the early 1940’s. Those first troopers riding 1937 Indian motorcycles made up a large part of the force during those early years. The unit was re-formed in January of 1999 with two troopers riding Harley-Davidson Road King police motorcycles and has since grown to twelve riders with an addition of the Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, BMW R1200 RT-P and the Suzuki Hayabusa. The members of the unit are assigned to work in the OKC and Tulsa metro areas and their duties include traffic and special emphasis type enforcement, providing escorts, attending public relations events and assisting other troopers as needed. Beginning in 2012, with funding provided by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, the unit will now spend more time on a “Motorcycle Safety Education Program”. This will include the training of drivers to share the road with motorcyclists as well as rider safety training classes. This effort is primarily focused on reducing motorcycle mishaps, especially those resulting in injury or death.

History1 History2 History3 History4